You may have heard of the efforts in Columbus help victims of the Haiti earthquake. Today Mayor Michael B. Coleman, the American Red Cross of Greater Columbus and Central Ohio media outlets are hosting a special one-day fundraiser. They will be at the Ohio Historical Society parking lot from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. accepting donations.
I know that I’m a new blogger and that my words might not reach a huge audience but I still felt it was important to share this message. I was asked by Heather (@prtini) along with other Central Ohio bloggers to “donate” my online space today. I was more than happy to do that and now I ask YOU to please find a way to donate.
How The Online Community Can Help
- Blog about the event on Wednesday and/or Thursday, sharing how people can donate
- Fan the Facebook page and ask your friends to join as well
- Tweet using the #Cbus4Haiti hashtag
- Share the content with your other social networks
- Email your Columbus friends and family, asking them to support the event
To Donate to the Red Cross
- Call 1-800-HELP NOW or 1-800-257-7575 (Spanish)
- Make a secure online contribution by visiting http://www.redcross.org. You can choose to designate your contribution to the International Response Fund or for the Haiti response specifically
- Text “Haiti” to 90999 to make a $10 donation to the Red Cross
- Drop off a check or cash donation on Thursday, January 21 to the Ohio Historical Center
No effort is too small or meaningless. If one person made a donation, or simply took time to reflect on the larger issues of our world, then this post was well worth my time. Keep up the awesome work Columbus!
2 thoughts on “Columbus Hope for Haiti”
I thought Heather’s facebook status was too awesome not to share…
“It was amazing to have a group of Haitians — whose friends & family are in Haiti — stand with us in the freezing cold, holding flags of thier native country. They wanted to personally thank donors for their support. One of the coolest things I’ve ever seen.”
Thanks for supporting this event!
@Amy – Thanks Amy and right back at you, great cause to support!